As of October 1, 2019, Destiny 2 is available through Steam and is no longer accessible through Battle.net. New and returning players should see the guide below for information on how they can prepare for the updated Destiny 2 Steam experience.
- As of October 1, 2019, Destiny 2 on PC is available through Steam and is no longer accessible through Battle.net.
- As of December 1, 2020, migration from Battle.net to Steam is no longer available.
Listed below are the system requirements for Destiny 2 on PC.
Steam Account Information
In order to play Destiny 2 on Steam, players must start by creating their Steam account. Once a Steam account has been created, players may link it to their Bungie.net profile to gain access to the Bungie.net forums, special offers, and Destiny Companion features.
- New Players on Steam: Players new to Steam may create an account by visiting the following page: Create a Steam Account
Players new to Steam will be under the Limited User Account status until $5.00 USD or more is spent on the Steam Store. For more information on Limited User Accounts, please see Valve’s Limited User Accounts knowledgebase article.
- Returning Players on Steam: Returning players should log in to their existing Steam account by visiting the following page: Steam Sign In
- Linking to Bungie.net: Once players have created their Steam account, they should link it to an existing Bungie.net profile or create a new one.
- Steam Account Issues: Players who encounter issues with their Steam account should contact Steam Support by visiting the following page: Steam Support
- Account Security: After players have created their Steam account and linked it to their Bungie.net profile, they should visit our Account Security Guide for best practices in safeguarding their Destiny account.
Install the Steam App and Destiny 2
Players should follow the instructions below to install the Steam app and Destiny 2.
Installing the Steam App
Once players have created their Steam account and logged in, they must next download and install the Steam app. Steam is required to play Destiny 2 on the Steam platform.
Installing Destiny 2
Once Steam has been downloaded and installed, players may access Destiny 2 through the Destiny 2 product page. Once any version of Destiny 2 is owned on the player’s account, it can then be installed from the player’s Steam Library. Players who encounter issues installing Destiny 2 on Steam should visit Valve’s Update & Installation Issues knowledgebase article.
Players who have a Steam product code for Destiny 2 must redeem it on their Steam account. For general information on code redemption, players should see Valve’s Activating a Product on Steam knowledgebase article.
Steam Deck and Destiny 2
Destiny 2 is not supported for play on the Steam Deck or on any system utilizing Steam Play's Proton unless Windows is installed and running. Players who attempt to launch Destiny 2 on the Steam Deck through SteamOS or Proton will be unable to enter the game and will be returned to their game library after a short time.
Players who are not accessing Destiny 2 through Windows and attempt to bypass the SteamOS/Proton incompatibility will be met with a game ban.
Vital Information and Troubleshooting
Listed below is vital information that players should know when playing Destiny 2 on Steam.
- Migrating from Battle.net to Steam: As of December 1, 2020, migration from Battle.net to Steam is no longer available.
- Third-Party Applications: Some features of third-party applications may not be compatible with Destiny 2 on PC. For more information, players should see: Destiny 2 PC and Third-Party Application Feature Compatibility
- Steam Support: Players who encounter an issue with their Steam account or the Steam app should visit Steam Support.
- Blizzard Support: Players who require support for their Battle.net account should visit Blizzard Support.
- Destiny Services and BungieHelp: For the latest information on known issues or service outages as they occur, players should follow @BungieHelp on Twitter, or monitor our support feed on help.bungie.net.
- OS and Driver Updates: For the best experience, we recommend that players ensure that they have accepted all updates to their OS and drivers. If players believe they are encountering issues with Destiny 2 on PC, they should ensure that their PC software is up to date.
- Clearing Steam Download Cache: Players who encounter issues with Steam or Destiny 2 should also try clearing their Steam download cache. For instructions, please see Valve’s Clear Download Cache knowledgebase article.
- Windows Defender: Destiny 2 players on PC may encounter an issue where Windows Defender incorrectly detects specific Destiny 2 files as infected with malware when performing a scan. Players who encounter this issue should update their virus definitions. For more information, please see our Windows Defender knowledge base article.
- CVARS Troubleshooting: When encountering configuration issues in Destiny 2, it is recommended that players delete their existing CVARS.xml file. This file can be found in: \Users\USER_NAME\Appdata\Roaming\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs\
When relaunched, Destiny 2 will generate a fresh CVARS.xml file. This will revert all custom player settings in Destiny 2 to their defaults. For more information, please see our CVARS knowledge base article.
- Destiny 2 PC Support Forums: Players who encounter issues while playing Destiny 2 on PC that are not resolved after troubleshooting should report them to the PC Support forums.