Code of Conduct
Click each rule for a more in-depth explanation.
We will remove the following content (and the users who contribute it) from our website or our games:
- Disrespect of any kind; including hate speech based on but not limited to race, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or nationality.
- Attempts to name and shame suspected cheaters, rather than using our Report Suspected Cheating contact form.
- Personal attacks, harassment, impersonation, or bullying other members of this community.
- Violations of privacy or sharing personal information (Bungie employees will never ask for your personal information in a forum post or direct message).
- Discussions of sensitive topics like politics and religion - outside the context of in-game story elements.
- Depictions, references, or descriptions of gory violence or explicit/implicit sexual content.
- Breaking the law, plotting crimes, or describing illegal activities.
- Threats to harm other members of this community, even if it was in jest.
- Compromising the player experience by circulating spoilers, hacks, or cheats.
- Distributing unauthorized copyrighted or trademarked material.
- Soliciting, plagiarism, or attempts at phishing.
- Contributions made with the sole intent of antagonizing users or disrupting the conversation.
- Evasion of bans, suspensions, or our language filter.
DISRESPECT is when another person shows a lack of respect towards another person or group. This includes anything that tries to degrade, demean, insult, humiliate, or disparage a specific person or group of people.
Additionally, HATE SPEECH (expressions of prejudice against a particular group) of any kind will not be tolerated, including all racist, sexist, ethnic, xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic, religion-related and disability-related slurs, derogatory nicknames, or slang.
2. Attempts to name and shame suspected cheaters, rather than using this form .
To NAME AND SHAME is to post information about another user with the intention of getting them banned or removed. While we appreciate reports about suspected cheaters, our forums are not the appropriate place to do so. This is to provide safety for both parties since it is possible the suspected cheater is not actually cheating.
- To report a user for misconduct on our website, please use the "Report" button, located on every thread, post, user profile, private message, or clan chat.
- To report potential cheaters in our games, please use this form.
3. Personal attacks, harassment, impersonation, or bullying other members of this community.
A PERSONAL ATTACK is disrespecting a user rather than the merits of their post. While disagreements on a subject matter are permissible, attacking the user instead of their post is not.
HARASSMENT is when a user attempts to target another user to make them feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. While the conduct varies, it can include multiple replies to posts or messages by the targeted victim(s), or getting other users to participate in the harassment. IF THIS HAPPENS, it's appropriate to use the "Mute" button located inside everyone's Bungie profile, then message our Ninja forum moderators.
IMPERSONATION is the act of attempting to copy another user to convince others that you are that user. This can include copying usernames, avatars, and profile information, or falsely claiming to be a different user in private messages, groups, clans, or our forums. Impersonation of Bungie employees will result in harsh punishment.
BULLYING is a form of harassment and disrespect and is when a user intentionally tries to harm or hurt another user in the form of images, video, or written statements, including direct threats or other conduct that is threatening, humiliating, or which can cause psychological harm.
4. Violations of privacy or sharing personal information (Bungie employees will never ask for your personal information in a forum post or direct message).
A VIOLATION OF PRIVACY occurs when a user exposes personal information about another user without their consent. This does not include anything publicly available in their profile, such as gamer IDs, game stats, or joined clans. While a user may have shared personal information previously, it's not permitted to share it again without explicit permission.
We believe PERSONAL INFORMATION should never be shared because it can put an account at risk. For this reason, Bungie employees or Ninja forums moderators will remove any personal information they find.
A Bungie employee will NEVER ask you to post personal information in a forum post or to share it via direct messages on Bungie.net. Users that submit a Help ticket through a contact form on Help.Bungie.Net may need to provide some personal information to help Player Support investigate their issue or process their request.
5. Discussions of sensitive topics like politics and religion - outside the context of in-game story elements.
Discussions of sensitive topics, such as politics or religion, can become negative and violate a number of rules. As such, they are prohibited on our forums. However, discussions of belief or political systems depicted in our games are permitted.
A POLITICAL DISCUSSION is when the subject matter discusses politics, political parties, politicians, policies, governments, and types of government.
A RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION is when the subject matter discusses the belief system of a person, people, group, or religion, or the existence or non-existence of a non-human power or powers who are regarded as creating and/or governing the universe.
6. Depictions, references, or descriptions of gory violence or explicit/implicit sexual content.
GORY VIOLENCE refers to any piece of media that depicts, references, or describes actual violence or incidences against another person, group of people, or animals.
EXPLICIT SEXUAL CONTENT includes any content that clearly shows or describes pornography, nudity, or near-nudity in a sexual manner.
IMPLICIT SEXUAL CONTENT refers to any sexual content that isn't directly apparent, such as innuendoes.
7. Breaking the law, plotting crimes, or describing illegal activities.
BREAKING THE LAW, or PLOTTING A CRIME, in your country/jurisdiction and using our website, app, or one of our games to do so in any way is prohibited.
Additionally, any user who claims to be or is found to be UNDER THE AGE OF 13 YEARS OLD will be removed.
DESCRIBING ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES, which includes all conduct prohibited by law in a user's country/jurisdiction, is prohibited.
Note that these discussions may be reported to law enforcement agencies.
8. Threats to harm other members of this community, even if it was in jest.
A THREAT is a statement of intention to inflict harm on one's self or another user. Bungie takes all threats against members of this community seriously and does not tolerate any form of using threats to harm others as a joke.
Note that threats may be reported to law enforcement agencies.
9. Compromising the player experience by circulating spoilers, hacks, or cheats.
SPOILERS refer to any elements of information which expose important story details that a user didn't want to know without their approval. This includes leaked content and data-mined information. Spoilers for Bungie games and related media, as well as spoilers for non-Bungie games and media, are prohibited and will be removed.
HACKING or CHEATING one of our games for any reason is prohibited and can lead to in-game restrictions or bans. Spreading or circulating guides for hacking or cheating are prohibited and will be removed. For more information, see our Destiny Account Restrictions and Banning Policies.
10. Distributing unauthorized copyrighted or trademarked material.
COPYRIGHTED or TRADEMARKED material that is distributed without express permission or a license is prohibited.
11. Soliciting, plagiarism, or attempts at phishing.
SOLICITATION is the request for something, offering something, or attempting to purchase goods or services. This includes advertisements, referral links, and selling services to use in our games, such as account recoveries or carries. Bungie does not consider the following to be Solicitation: asking users to watch a broadcast or media that a user has created, or recruiting users to join a game, clan or sub-community, within reason.
PLAGIARISM includes any attempt to steal or take credit for another user's work. This includes images posted on the Creations page.
PHISHING is the attempt to steal another user's personal information. Note that phishing attempts may be reported to law enforcement agencies. Bungie employees will never ask for your personal information in a forum post or direct message.
12. Contributions made with the sole intent of antagonizing users or disrupting the conversation.
ANTAGONIZING USERS by posting something controversial in order to receive a negative emotional response is prohibited.
DISRUPTING A CONVERSATION includes posting something completely off-topic in a forum thread, trying to purposely change a discussion within a thread, sending unsolicited messages, or repeatedly creating posts with the same message.
13. Evasion of bans, suspensions, or our language filter.
EVASION is the act of avoiding or circumventing a ban, suspension, or our language filter.
Information on Moderation
If you are caught by the blast of our Banhammer, there was a good reason for it.
- For information about Bungie.net or Destiny Companion app moderation, please see below.
- For information about Destiny bans and suspensions, please view our Destiny Account Restrictions and Banning Policies article.
While we rely on our moderators to find and remove rule breakers, they cant be everywhere. We encourage everyone to use the REPORT button on any thread, post, message, group, or Clan that they feel violates our Code of Conduct.
WARNINGS are issued to users to let them know that what they posted was against our Code of Conduct, but what they posted wasn't bad enough to issue a ban. Users who receive a warning can still post almost anywhere without issue, but won't be able to post in the thread they were warned in.
Multiple warnings may result in a ban. Locked threads should be considered a warning.
BANS are issued to users depending on the severity of the rule they broke. Bans will result in a user not being able to post in the forums, send out messages, post in a Clan's chat, or update their profile information until the ban expires. Some bans never expire, so make sure that the Code of Conduct is being followed.
Clans and Groups can also be banned depending on what they post or what information they have in their name, motto, or description.
If you have questions about Destiny or need help in Destiny, please create a thread in our #Help forum.
If you have questions about the Code of Conduct or moderation, please create a thread in the #CompanionApp forum, or send a message to one of our Ninja forum moderators.