If you are seeing this error, it indicates a problem with your networking setup. This can happen for a number of reasons, but often occurs after a WiFi blip, or when network or Parental Control settings have changed on your home network or game console.
This error can show up when the router the console is connected through has gotten into a fundamentally bad state. Router reboots often help, but faulty firmware or failing hardware can lead to repeated occurrences of this error.
To perform a cold reboot of your console or PC and networking hardware, please do the following:
- Exit Destiny and shut down your gaming console or PC
- Once your device is fully shut down, unplug the power supply from the device for at least 30 seconds.
- Unplug the hardware in your networking setup and leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds.
- Start to turn on your networking hardware, starting with the modem, and working your way out to additional hardware.
- Plug in and turn on your console or PC and launch Destiny
- Attempt to reconnect and play Destiny.
If this doesn't resolve your issue you may need to check the quality of the connection between your console and your modem/router.
Additionally, this error can also be caused by Parental Controls on some routers and may need to be adjusted to open up Player to Player connectivity.
If you are encountering this error consistently, or if the above steps don't solve the problem, you will need to troubleshoot your networking setup to solve this issue, as port forwarding and firewall exceptions can help alleviate this error. For more information visit our Network Troubleshooting Guide.