Authentication Methods: Signing in to Bungie.net
First, players must have a valid PlayStation, Xbox, Stadia, or Steam Account in order to create a Bungie.net profile. Additionally, players will be required to have a valid Destiny Character created are reach Power Level 1075 in order to engage in Bungie.net forums.
For steps on how to create authentication methods for the preferred gaming platform, players should follow these links:
Once an Authentication method is available, players may proceed through the Bungie.net profile creation flow. Destiny characters and data will be tied to the authentication method, and appear on Bungie.net when linked.
Changing Passwords for Authentication Methods
Bungie.net does not provide a method of resetting authentication method passwords. These passwords must be changed through the support website of that authentication method.
Bungie will occasionally send specialized communications, news alerts, and other custom messages to players that have a validated email address and have opted-in to these communications. For steps on validating an email address while setting up a Bungie.net profile, please see the Email Validation guide.
Adding or Linking New Authentication Methods
If a player engages with Destiny 2 on multiple platforms, they may wish to link multiple authentication methods to a single Bungie.net profile. To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Bungie.net with the original authentication method
- Visit the Settings page
- Click "Accounts & Linking."
- Click "Link" next to the desired authentication method
Removing or Unlinking an Authentication Method
If a player wishes to remove an authentication method, they may follow these steps:
- Sign in to Bungie.net using the authentication method that is NOT being removed.
- Proceed to the Settings page and click "Accounts & Linking"
- Click "Unlink" next to the appropriate authentication method to be removed.
Players will be required to authorize the unlinking request using the authentication E-mail and password of the account that is being unlinked. If there is a single Authentication method tied to a Bungie.net profile, it may only be removed by merging with another Bungie.net profile. For steps on how to do this, please see below.
Merging Authentication Methods from Multiple Bungie.net Profiles
Players who have created multiple Bungie.net profiles may choose to move all authentication methods to a single Bungie.net profile.
- Sign in to the preferred Bungie.net User Profile using the account credentials that are currently tied to that account
- Proceed to the Settings page
- Link the authentication method used to access the other profile. You will be asked to confirm that you want to move the authentication method from the old profile. Confirm the decision.
If a player moves all authentication methods to the wrong Bungie.net profile, they may recover the desired Bungie.net profile by following the steps listed below.
Bungie.net Profile Recovery
If a player has lost access to a Bungie.net profile by removing all associated authentication methods, that profile can't currently be recovered at this time.
Microsoft Authentication Security
Bungie.net has moved to new authentication technology provided by Microsoft, which requires permissions be granted to Bungie for Microsoft Credentials to be used during the sign-on or account creation process.
Bungie.net requires the following permissions:
- Sign-in to Xbox Live and access and update the Xbox Live Account and interact with the Xbox Live service.
- Access Xbox Live info anytime
These are the minimum permissions needed in order to provide the following two services:
- Sign in to Bungie.net with a linked Microsoft Account and Xbox Live Gamertag.
- View Xbox Live friends list when signed in to Bungie.net.
Please Note: Revoking permission to Bungie.net will prevent access to a Bungie.net profile or any features on Bungie.net tied to Destiny characters.If a player wishes to revoke these permissions, they can do so at this link: https://account.live.com/consent/Manage