This is a sub-page of Destiny 2 PC Guide. If you are seeking Known Issues for Destiny 2 gameplay, please follow this link. For the most recent and updated list of emergent PC issues in Destiny 2, please click here.
Destiny 2: PC Known Issues
The following are confirmed known issues that players may experience while playing Destiny 2 on PC. Updates to this list will occur when possible.
- Steam Linking Available: PC players who want to continue playing on PC must link a Steam account to their Bungie account through our PC Move page. Starting October 1, players' Battle.net Destiny 2 purchases, characters, Silver, progress and more will automatically transfer to their Steam accounts. For Steam Linking and Cross Save Known Issues, click here.
- Problem Reading Game Content: Players who are encountering “problem reading game content” errors on Steam should try deleting the steam_appid.txt file in their Destiny 2 folder. Players performing these steps must also ensure that they are NOT launching Destiny 2 using the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Example directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Destiny 2
- Players may also find this under …\Destiny2\bin\x64
- Fireteam Chat and Steam: If Steam is offline, Fireteam chat will not work.
- Offline Players in Clans: All offline players in Clans will not display their name, but instead, will show "Offline."
- Creating a Fireteam When Steam is Offline: If players create a Fireteam while Steam is down, other players will never be able to join them when Steam comes back online.
- Windowed and Borderless Modes: If players minimize Destiny 2 then toggle between Windowing Modes, they may lose the game's title bar offscreen. To mitigate this issue, players can reposition the window by hitting the SHIFT key and Right Clicking on the Destiny 2 taskbar icon and selecting "Move."
- High Framerate PCs and Dunking in the Scourge of the Past Raid : Players on High Framerate PCs will be launched into the air if they jump while dunking carry objects, sometimes cratering them into a roof
- FPS and Stuttering: We are investigating issues where players have FPS and stuttering issues.
- Long Load Times: We are investigating an issue where some players are experiencing longer than usual load times in Menus and UI.
- Text Chat: When in a Strike, players are not able to access the local chat for that Destination area.
- Ryzen 3000 CPUs: AMD has identified the issue impacting the ability to run Destiny 2 on Ryzen 3000 processors and have implemented a BIOS fix that has been distributed to partners. Players will be able to download the updated BIOS from their motherboard providers.
- AMD RX 580 and 4K Resolution: Using an AMD RX 580 with 4K resolution causes screen to flicker and go black during gameplay.
- HDR and NVidia: Changing the brightness without HDR changes the white and black points with HDR on NVidia hardware.
- Oculus Rift Users: Players may experience lowered performance while Oculus Rift tracking cameras are plugged in. Unplugging the cameras from the computer may restore system performance.
- Closing Application: When closing Destiny 2 on PC, players must close the application via mouse input. Controllers cannot select the in-game button to close the Destiny 2 application.
- Cursor in Tri-Monitor Configurations: Changing resolution between 5760x1080, 4080x768, and 3072x768 may trap the mouse cursor in the right-most monitor. Players who encounter this issue should ALT+TAB out of the Destiny 2 application, then back. Players may also toggle Windowed Mode by pressing ALT+ENTER.
- IME in Fullscreen: Players who are running Input Method Editors may encounter a black screen or delay when inputting characters in Fullscreen Mode. For the best experience, these players are encouraged to play in Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen Modes.
- BUFFALO Errors on multiple PCs: Players may encounter BUFFALO errors when logging in to Destiny 2 on multiple PCs at the same time. To prevent this issue, players must ensure that they are logged out of Destiny 2 on any PC that they do not currently intend to play on.
- Login after Disconnects: A generic error code may appear to players who lose internet connection, which may block an affected player from logging back in even after reconnecting. Players who believe they are encountering this issue should close the Destiny 2 application and relaunch.
- Corporate and University Networks: Some players may be unable to play Destiny 2 on corporate or university networks. Players who encounter this issue must contact their IT department, to meet the connectivity standards outlined in our Network Troubleshooting Guide.
- Windows 10 Game Bar: The Windows 10 game bar may not work in Fullscreen Mode. Affected players who wish to use this feature should use Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen Mode.
- Frame Stuttering in Area Transitions: We are investigating an issue where players may sometimes encounter delays/frame stutters when transitioning between spaces on planetary destinations when NVIDIA Nsight is installed. To mitigate this, players should open their Nsight Monitor application and visit the following setting: General > NVIDIA Display Driver > Driver Instrumentation. Here, players should make sure that Driver Instrumentation is disabled.